Lamb takes the fourth place in calories among meat varieties. Lamb fat is easily absorbed by the stomach without creating stress. The meat of a young lamb or milk lamb is indispensable in dietary nutrition, as it contains enough lecithin, which normalizes cholesterol metabolism in the body. Properly cooked lamb in the oven has excellent taste and usefulness.
The lamb is chosen light red, with white and elastic fat, it is not cooked for a long time, so it loses an incredible aroma, becomes hard and dry. Recipes depend on culinary traditions. In the East, cooked with dates or apricots, Mediterranean dishes contain olive oil, tomatoes, garlic, wine. In the northern regions, they prefer lamb with potato flavored thyme or marjoram. The taste of fat is beaten with mint sauce in vinegar. Of alcoholic drinks, red wine is suitable.
How to determine the quality of meat
The first thing to look for is color and intermuscular fat. The lighter the piece (light red or pinkish), the meat is younger and fresher. The burgundy brown color indicates that the meat is an old animal and it is unlikely that it will make a tender and tasty dish. Fat layers of white color indicate freshness. If the fat is yellowish and loose, it is better not to buy such meat.
High quality lamb is elastic to the touch and elastic. If you sniff, there must be no mustiness or rottenness. The denser the structure, the older the animal. If you buy a lamb (up to 8 weeks) or a young lamb (up to 3 months), keep in mind that usually lambs are born from January to March.
Sometimes thawed mutton is sold in stores, which they pass off as fresh. Such meat is easy to determine by checking for elasticity by pressing on a piece. If the dimple is not leveled, and the surface has become a bright red color, it is thawed. Secondary freezing and improper defrosting leads to a loss of taste and nutritional qualities.
Slovak mutton in Slovak
The grace of rustic lamb is that the products practically do not mix and are served whole.
- mutton 1 kg
- garlic 1 PC
- vinegar 3% 1 Art. l
- fat (if lean meat) 1 Art. l
- potatoes 6 PC
- broccoli 500 g
- salt, spices taste
- Disassemble broccoli into inflorescences, rinse well.
- Boil water in a saucepan, throw cabbage there. Cook for 10 minutes with the lid closed, then fold in a colander.
- Rub the lamb with garlic, sprinkle with salt, put in a baking sheet, greased.
- Bake in the oven at medium temperature until browned (about 30 minutes). Then reduce the temperature and continue cooking, periodically pouring the juice that has stood out (an hour and a half). If there is little juice, pour a little water.
- You can determine the readiness using a toothpick, pricking a piece of lamb.
Cut the finished dish into small portioned portions, arrange it nicely on a plate, pour over the juice obtained during frying, sprinkle lightly with thyme or thyme. Cover the lamb with broccoli, cucumbers and tomatoes, sprinkle with herbs. Those who do not like cabbage can be replaced with potatoes, only the calorie content will increase.
Lamb leg baked in foil
Pre-marinated leg of lamb overnight in a mixture of garlic, rosemary, mustard, lemon zest, honey.
- leg of lamb (2-2.5 kg);
- 4 tbsp. l honey;
- 2 tbsp. l fresh rosemary;
- 2 tbsp. l not burning mustard;
- 1 tsp. lemon zest, black pepper, sea salt (large);
- 3 cloves of garlic (pre-chop).
- Mustard mixed with honey, garlic, lemon zest, rosemary, black pepper.
- Rub your leg well and leave it overnight in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
- Preheat the oven to 230 degrees. Salt and put your foot on the roasting pan (wire rack), the fat will drain into the pan below.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 200 degrees and hold in the oven for about another hour.
- If the meat burns, put a foil on top.
- Put a baking tray with juice on the stove, add half a glass of water, as much red wine.
- Dense gravy with a small amount of starch, which is diluted in cold water.
- Heat on a stove, stirring constantly, serve with meat.
Before you start slicing, it is better to let stand for about 10 minutes. Put the cut lamb into a dish, serve with vegetables (fresh tomatoes and cucumbers) and gravy.
Lamb leg in the sleeve
The recipe is very simple, you do not need to constantly stand at the stove and make sure that the mutton does not burn. After 2 hours, you will get a very tasty and full dinner for the whole family.
- leg of lamb;
- 8 pcs large potatoes;
- 4 things. medium carrots;
- 3 sprigs of rosemary, thyme, mint;
- salt, black pepper, seasoning - to taste.
- Wash the lamb leg well under running water, dry it with a paper towel.
- Grate on each side with spices (do not salt), leave pickle for 2 hours.
- At this time, cook vegetables: peel potatoes, cut in half, carrots - lengthwise into 4 parts. Sprinkle vegetables with salt and pepper, mix, lay in a sleeve, adding rosemary, thyme and mint. Salt the lamb, lay in a sleeve on vegetables, clamp the edges of the sleeve.
- The sleeve is placed on a baking sheet and placed in a preheated oven, fried for an hour and a half at a temperature of 180 degrees.
- After time, get a baking sheet, carefully cut the sleeve, put the meat and vegetables on a dish and serve.
There is nothing complicated in cooking. Lamb is cooked as easy as rabbit.
Loin roasting recipe
The loin is cut into portions, crumbled in the sauce and baked.
- lamb loin with bone;
- 3 pcs. eggs
- 1 cup crackers for breading;
- 3 tsp Worcester sauce.
- Cut the loin into equal pieces. In a cup, mix Worcester sauce with eggs, dip each piece into the mixture and roll in breadcrumbs.
- Grease a baking sheet and lay the pieces. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees, bake for 20 minutes on each side. Serve with fresh vegetables.
It is generally possible to cook Worcester sauce (the favorite English sauce) at home, however, it will not work to achieve identity. Better to look ready in stores.
Delicious Georgian style recipe with vegetables
The lamb cooked according to this recipe turns out spicy, and the vegetables are baked in juice and served on the side dish.
- lamb leg - about 2.5 kg;
- 1 eggplant;
- 700 g of potatoes;
- 3 large cloves of garlic (cut coarsely);
- 1 large onion - cut into thin rings;
- 0.5 kg tomato;
- 1 tbsp. l finely chopped greens;
- salt, pepper, spices - to taste;
- ½ cup red wine.
- Stuff leg with garlic, grate with salt and pepper, put in an oven preheated to 220 degrees, leave for an hour.
- At this time, cut the eggplant into pieces and salt to release the juice, then dry it with a paper towel and cut the potatoes.
- After about an hour after baking, drain the fat in a baking sheet, put vegetables there, salt and pepper, add oregano, add wine.
- Overlay the lamb leg with vegetables and bake for about another hour, stir the vegetables periodically so that they are well saturated with juice.
Serve with chopped tomatoes or pasta.
Roasting with garlic and rosemary
The perfect recipe for the holidays. The dish on the table looks festive and appetizing. Treats are an excellent candidate for new year menu.
- lamb leg - about 2 kg;
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp dry mustard;
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary;
- 10 cloves of garlic;
- salt, pepper - to taste.
- Wash the lamb leg under running water, make incisions with a knife, and stuff with garlic. It is advisable to distribute garlic evenly so that the meat is well saturated with aroma and taste.
- Squeeze lemon juice, mix with salt, pepper, rosemary, mustard. Rub the foot with the composition, wrap in cling film, leave in the refrigerator overnight. If there is no time, two hours is enough.
- Put the pickled lamb in a greased baking foil.
- Bake in several stages: first at a temperature of 205 degrees for 20 minutes, then reduce to 180 degrees and bake for 70 minutes.
- Remove the prepared meat from the oven, cover with foil, wait 15 minutes, then cut into small slices and serve. You can shift the meat with fresh tomatoes and sweet peppers.
How to cook four of a kind
The recipe is considered a delicacy, and if cooked with rhubarb sauce, add red wine and rosemary, you can feel the French notes, because it is in France that they like to cook lamb rack.
- 2 pcs. lamb rack (ribs with bone);
- 1 glass of red wine;
- 100 g of brown sugar;
- 200 g of rhubarb;
- 4 things. shallots;
- 2 tbsp. l olive oil;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- a sprig of rosemary;
- salt, pepper - to taste.
- Rinse well, dry with a paper towel. Pour oil into a pan, add garlic, rosemary. As the aroma of spices goes, put a quart.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Put the fried meat in a baking dish and put in an oven preheated to 200 degrees for 25 minutes.
- While preparing a square, prepare the sauce.
- Pour sugar into a pan, pour half a glass of water, put on medium heat and wait until it disperses (caramelization occurs). After pouring the wine, chop the shallots into boats.
- Remove the pan from the wine when it is almost half evaporated. In the pan where the lamb was fried, fry the onions.
- Once the onion is soft, add rhubarb, fry for another 2 minutes, pour the sauce. Reduce heat and continue boiling until necessary consistency.
- Remove the prepared mutton from the oven, cut into pieces and serve, seasoned with sauce.
Fresh vegetables and red wine are good choices.
I reviewed 7 simple and delicious recipes for baking lamb in the oven.