Outside the window, the XXI century is a century that erases the boundaries between cities, states and entire continents. Now there are few things that can impress or surprise, except for outlandish sweets. I will talk about a treat that has recently gained popularity and will figure out what marzipan is and how to cook it at home.
Marzipan is an elastic paste that contains powdered sugar and almond flour. The consistency of the mixture resembles mastic.
There are several opposing versions of the origin of marzipan. One thing is for sure, its age is tens of centuries.
According to one version, the Italians were the first to know about marzipan. During a drought, high temperatures and beetles destroyed almost the entire crop. The only food that survived by a lucky chance was almonds. It was used for cooking pasta, sweets and bread. That's why in Italy, marzipan is called "March bread."
The Germans explain this name in their own way. According to legend, an employee of the first pharmacy in Europe, named Mart, had the idea to combine sweet syrup and ground almonds. The resulting mixture was named after him.
Now the production of marzipan is established in all European countries, but the German city of Lubeck is considered the capital. There is a museum on its territory, visitors of which can get to know the marzipans more closely and conduct a tasting of more than five hundred species.
In Russia, this product failed to take root.
Homemade Marzipan Recipe
In the first part of the material, we learned that culinary specialists use sugar and almonds to make homemade marzipan. The result is a plastic mixture that is indispensable for creating figures, leaves, flowers. The elastic mixture is suitable for making sweets, cake decorations, biscuits, desserts, sweets in the form of exotic fruits.
Marzipan can be bought in pastry shops or made independently at home. The latter option is suitable for housewives who like to do everything with their own hands.
- almond 100 g
- sugar 150 g
- water 40 ml
- For cooking I use peeled almonds. To remove the shell, I dip it for a minute in boiling water, then put it on a plate and remove the shell without much difficulty.
- So that the almond kernels do not darken, immediately after cleaning, douse them with cool water, put them in a mold and dry them a little in the oven. At 60 degrees, peeled almonds dry for 5 minutes. Next, using a coffee grinder, I make flour.
- Pour sugar into a small frying pan with a thickened bottom, add water, bring to a boil and boil. I check readiness by testing for a soft ball. To do this, scoop a drop of syrup with a spoon and immerse it in water. If after cooling the mixture it is possible to roll the ball, then it is ready.
- I introduce almond flour into boiling sugar syrup and cook for no more than three minutes, stirring constantly. Then spread the sugar-almond mixture in a bowl greased with vegetable oil. After cooling, I pass the composition through a meat grinder.
According to my recipe, you will prepare a plastic mass suitable for the formation of a variety of decorations.
If marzipan crumbles or is too soft
- To solve the problem of crumbling during cooking, you can add a small amount of chilled boiled water and then knead the mass.
- In the case of excessively soft marzipan, adding sugar will help to make the consistency correct.
Finished product suitable for decorating christmas cakes, rolls, pastries and pastries. I recommend storing it in the refrigerator, after putting it in a plastic bag. Many bold chefs experiment with the taste of marzipan, adding vanilla essence, lemon juice, cognac, wine to the composition.
How to make do-it-yourself marzipan figurines
In the manufacture of cakes, cakes and cookies, the hostesses use a variety of decorations and figures made of marzipan mixture.
Marzipan figurines are characterized by a light yellow tint and a pronounced smell of almonds. They are delicious, beautiful, easy to make with their own hands. Marzipan contains only sugar and almonds, so it is safe to use it in children's cooking.
- Remember, homemade marzipan can not be wrinkled by hands for too long, otherwise it will become sticky and unusable. If this happens, add powdered sugar to the mass.
- Finished marzipan can be given a specific color with food colors. In a separate container, I dilute the desired dye, then inside the mass I make a small depression and gradually introduce the dye. So that the mixture has a uniform color, I knead it well.
Video cooking figures
- From the marzipan mixture I make figures of people, flowers and animals, which I use to decorate baking. If desired, you can even decorate with such figures pancakes. Often sculpt berries, vegetables and fruits.
- To get the lemon peel, marzipan is lightly treated with a grater. To make a strawberry, I hold it a little for a couple, then gently rub it. I make grains in strawberries with slices of nuts, and I prepare cuttings from cloves.
- Vegetables. I roll marzipan potatoes in cocoa powder and make eyes with a stick. To make cabbage out of the almond-sugar mass, paint it green, roll it into layers and assemble the structure.
Marzipan figurines will always find a place on the gala table. They will surprise guests and decorate pastries. Good luck in culinary creativity!