Cooks use mastic to decorate holiday cakes and goodies. With its help, confectionery is given various forms. Consider how to make mastic for the cake with your own hands.
Decorations made of mastic will make a work of culinary art out of an ordinary cake. From the sweet mass it is easy to mold various figures, flowers, leaves and even whole floral arrangements. The most skilled chefs manage to create such beautiful decorations that it is a pity to people who are honored to taste a cake or pie.
At first glance, it seems that preparing high-quality mastic is not difficult. However, the first attempts of most beginners fail. To get a good result, you need to be patient and practice. At first, I recommend experimenting with a small amount of mastic. Ultimately, learn how to cook a plastic mass that is similar in texture to plasticine.
For the preparation of mastic, various ingredients are used - lemon juice, gelatin, powdered sugar, marshmallows, chocolate and other products. The finished mass is kneaded on a table sprinkled with powder or starch.
For tinting, dyes of a natural nature are used - the juice of beets, spinach, carrots and berries. Factory food colors from the store are also suitable. Use mastic to decorate the cake should be after the cream has hardened. It is best to apply the mixture on dry sponge cake or over marzipan mass.
Now I will introduce step-by-step recipes that I myself use to make mastic.
Mastic based on vegetable oil
- powdered sugar 500 g
- gelatin 1 Art. l
- egg white 1 PC
- vegetable oil 2 Art. l
- water 30 ml
- glucose 1 Art. l
- Pour the oxen into a small bowl, pour in the gelatin, stir and wait until it swells. After gelatin dissolve in a water bath and cool well.
- Combine gelatin with glucose, vegetable oil, egg white and powdered sugar. After mixing with a culinary spatula, mix the resulting mass thoroughly to become homogeneous.
- Roll the mastic into a ball, put in a bag and leave for several hours. Then knead the mass thoroughly and you can start sculpting or rolling.
Recipe number 2
The second recipe is simpler, but the mastic prepared according to it is ideal for decorating cakes, biscuits and other pastries.
- Water - 50 ml.
- Gelatin - 2 tsp.
- Powdered sugar - 0.5 kg.
- Pour gelatin into a bowl, add water and stir. After dissolved in a water bath and wait until it cools.
- Pour gelatin into the sifted icing sugar and mix well. The result is a homogeneous mass, which, as in the first case, roll into a ball and put in a bag.
You got the first idea of how to make mastic for the cake with your own hands. As you can see, there is nothing complicated in preparing a sweet mass. Excess stickiness will help to remove the addition of powdered sugar.
The best recipes for mastic at home
Culinary mastic is a wonderful decorative material used to decorate cakes, muffins and pies. Decorated pastries easily become a true work of art. It is not surprising that every novice decorator is interested in how to make mastic at home.
The preparation of professional mastic involves the use of special ingredients, which are not easy to purchase. But, this is not a reason for worry and frustration. You can cook from more affordable products.
Condensed milk based mastic
The most universal - milk mastic, characterized by ease of use. It is great for wrapping cakes and creating edible shapes. To make such a milk mass at home is not difficult on the basis of condensed milk.
- Condensed milk - 100 g.
- Powdered Sugar - 150 g
- Milk Powder - 150 g
- Lemon juice - 2 tbsp. spoons.
- Combine condensed milk with powdered milk and powdered. Quickly sift the ingredients thoroughly. Knead the mastic until it is sticky.
- Pour lemon juice into the mass. If the result is too sticky - pour a little powdered sugar, if too viscous - add a mixture of powdered milk powder in equal proportions.
- It remains to wrap the mixture in a film and keep it in the refrigerator for at least twelve hours. Before work, warm up the edible material and knead.
Delicious Chocolate Mastic
Now I’ll teach you how to make delicious chocolate mastic. If you use white chocolate and dyes for cooking, you can decorate the cake with all the colors of the rainbow.
- Dark chocolate without additives - 200 g.
- Liquid honey - 4 tbsp. spoons.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Add honey and mix well. After solidification of the mass, put on a flat surface laid with a film.
- Knead the chocolate paste thoroughly for ten minutes. Then put in a bag and leave for thirty minutes. After time, the mastic will be suitable for decorating confectionery.
The sweet mass is stored in the refrigerator for two months. If put in the freezer, the shelf life will increase to one year.
How to make marshmallow mastic
The cake, skillfully decorated with mastic, is considered a culinary masterpiece. No wonder, because it looks bright, original and very beautiful. Step-by-step instructions for making marshmallow mastic will dispel the myth that it is impossible to create a beautiful cake at home. All you need is a ready-made decoration and a good cake idea.
- Chewing marshmallows (marshmallows) - 200 g.
- Powdered Sugar - 400 g
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
- Butter - 1 teaspoon.
- Food colorings.
- Put the marshmallows in a container for heating, add lemon juice and butter. Dishes with marshmallows in the microwave or oven for about one minute. This time is enough for the marshmallow to increase in volume.
- Add dye, thanks to which the mastic will get color. You can decorate cakes and sculpt figures using white mass.
- Proceed to kneading. I add a little sugar and mix well. When mixing with a spoon becomes difficult, put the mass on the table, pour in the powder and knead until it becomes sticky.
- Put the finished mastic in a plastic bag and send in the refrigerator for several hours, so that it lies down. You can keep in the refrigerator until needed.
- Before use, lightly reheat in the oven and knead again. Then it will become suitable for decoration christmas cakes and sculpting sweet figurines.
I am full of hopes that after reading the instructions, you will not have difficulties with decorating cakes. In addition, this small cooking aid will be an excellent base for experimentation.
Many housewives use marshmallows called marshmallows to make mastic. It is not sold everywhere, unlike ordinary marshmallows.
Marshmallow-based mastic is perfect for creating original and unusual decorations that are often found on cakes. We are talking about various figures and edible products of arbitrary shape. Cake decorated with such figures wonderful gift for the New Year or birthday.
- Marshmallow - 200 g.
- Powdered Sugar - 300 g
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
- Divide the marshmallows into halves, which are heated in the microwave. Twenty seconds is enough.
- Marshmallows combine with lemon juice, icing sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Wrap the sweet substance in a film and put in the refrigerator for about forty minutes.
Agree, making marshmallow mastic at home is just quick. As a result, from it, mold various figures, flowers and other objects intended for decorating desserts.
How to coat the cake with mastic correctly
I dedicate the final part of the article to creating figures, decorating cakes and pastry delicacies. If you want the pastries and desserts to look great, be sure to listen to the recommendations.
To create clear and beautiful figures, you will need special equipment - curly knives, various cuttings and shapes. The tool helps to create jewelry of unsurpassed beauty.
According to experienced chefs, for the preparation of mastic, powdered sugar will be needed. As a result, the seams will not burst during operation, which will reduce cooking time and simplify preparation for the new year, birthday and any other holiday.
Apply mastic on a dry base to completely eliminate the possibility of melting material, which is characterized by enviable tenderness. To connect the figures, slightly moisten the sweet mass.
To cover a delicious cake with delicate mastic correctly, put the sweetness on a circle with a rotary mechanism. It is recommended to roll out the mass on a dusted surface to a thickness of five millimeters. The layer of mastic should be larger than the diameter of the cake.
You can use a rolling pin to place the mastic. Sprinkle your hands with starch. Initially, smooth the layer of sweet mass on the surface of the dessert, and then cover the sides. Use a knife to cut off excess.
If after making the cake, the mastic remains, put it in a bag and send it to the refrigerator, where it will lie for up to two weeks.
The story has come to an end how to make mastic for the cake with your own hands. Using recipes and following generally accepted rules, create a variety of goodies yourself, which in addition to taste and aroma will delight you with a beautiful appearance.